2011年8月24日 星期三

Re: Let's simply things



I believe most things can be simplified. It does not matter how complicated it is, there must be a way to simplify it. I think writing is a good example. Of course, it depends on the purpose of the article the author will choose the appropriate languages. But when the article is aimed at the public, say conveyancing contract and credit card conditions. The language used should be easy to understand. I am quite inspired by Alan Siegel who is advocating to simplify tax forms, legal documents etc to simply, day to day English. The most recent experience I had with simple, plain English was with Singapore airline. You know, usually the conditions apply for an air-ticket is bloody long and with so many words that no one understands. Singapore airline has simplified its conditions to one page with easy to understand English. I feel at ease and I buy the ticket from them. I think this concept should apply to medicine as well, we haven't changed our medical treatment consent form for god knows how long. I wonder how many patients can actually understand it and its implications. May be that would be a good research topic.

I feel happy when I read something I can understand.

沒有留言:

張貼留言