2012年2月4日 星期六

Re: The great depression of a medical student

At the age of 28, I finally made it to medical school. It is a little bit late but finally I made it. At the age of 32, I will start my career in medicine. Finally, the end of a poor student life, or the start of another one? The constant worry of not getting a job finally arrives. Although every local student is guaranteed a job, the hospital placement basically determines your future, whether you become a surgeon, physician, GP or drop-out. With 800 students coming out, the chance of getting a good position is slim.

At the age of 32, I don't have time to waste. A quick decision is required here. Surgery is difficult to enter. Physician training is easy to get into, however, it is difficult to find a job upon graduation. ED requires many shift work. GP training is the easiest. These two specialties are heavens for drop-outs. My dream of becoming a surgeon is long gone. ED and GP are left after elimination.

After the job is allocated, will I be able to withstand the constant humiliation, pressure and stress ? Will there be hope for an old medical student who is constantly struggle with life? Will there be work available? The end of medical education only opens more doors for disappointment.

沒有留言:

張貼留言